Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Original Diagnostic Essay

My Cruise Experience

When we first arrived at the ship I was astonished at its size. The ship was the largest ever built at the time; it was as long as the Empire State Building is tall. I spent the entire first day simply exploring, and I still didn’t see everything before the night was out. The ship had its own mall in the center with just about everything you don’t need on a cruise. The ship had plenty of choices for food. There was also a twenty-four hour pizzeria where you could get free pizza throughout the cruise. You could also get ice cream at the mall with just about any toppings you could want, or you could just get a cone on deck. At night you could even dine at their restaurant with one of the best steaks I’ve ever had. When you weren’t eating there was plenty to do. They had a mini-golf course on deck, and a virtual driving range. You could play ping pong on one of the numerous tables throughout the ship; some placed a little too close to the railing if you ask me. If you like to swim the ship had three swimming pools and a surf simulator. They also had lounge chairs all around so you could just relax if you didn’t feel like doing anything.

During this cruise we stopped at some amazing places. Our first stop was Mexico. When we arrived we got on a bus and went to some Mayan ruins. The guide showed us around and taught us a little bit of Spanish. He also showed us the plant we get gum from. After the ruins we went to a wildlife preserve where we got to swim with dolphins. I had wanted to swim with dolphins since I was six years old. Next we went to Jamaica where my dad and I got to spend the day together. We went zip lining through the jungle. The instructors were half the fun, they were so funny. I will never forget flying over the tree tops. Afterwards we got to enjoy some real Jamaican jerk chicken. We then met up with the rest of my family to go climb a waterfall. Next we went to the Grand Caymans. We went swimming with stingrays; some of them were bigger than I am. Then we went snorkeling in a coral reef. My grandfather almost got bitten by a moray eel. Finally we went to Haiti. We spent most of the day at the beach where they had a playground on the water. At the end of the day my dad and I went parasailing, something else I had always wanted to do.

The worst part about the cruise was the end. The last day seemed like it was trying its best to fly by. When we got home our bodies had to adjust to cooler weather and most of us got sick. I lucked out and was fine, but my mom was on bed for a couple days. The day after we got back I also had to go back to school and pick up a weeks worth of make up work. The cruise was one of the best weeks of my life, so it was worth it. Ever since I have been yearning to go on another one.

1 comment:

  1. They are fun, but that pizza wasn't "free." I was supposed to go to Jamaica and zip line, but my then girlfriend got seasick and we "had" to fly home right when we arrived at Grand Cayman...

    ReplyDelete